Every year, UrbanSitter surveys families across the U.S. for the latest holiday tipping trends including how much of a holiday babysitter tip parents are planning to give. With the looming recession, we especially wanted to know if families will be tipping more or less than last year. Read on if you’re wondering what an appropriate tip would be for your babysitter, what the standard nanny bonus is the right now, or how much other tip their housekeepers and pet sitters.
Will families tip caregivers more this holiday season?
While a majority of families will be tipping the same amount as last year, more than a third of families said they will tip caregivers more this year, according to UrbanSitter’s survey:
54% tipping about the same
34% tipping more
6% tipping less
6% not tipping
- 60% of parents plan to tip their babysitters with cash for the holidays
- $15-25 is the most common babysitter tip followed by $25-50. 21% don’t give special holiday tips. Others give a gift instead of a tip (19%).
- Breakdown of 2022 babysitter tip amounts:
- Under $15 (21%)
- $15-25 (25%)
- $25-50 (22%)
- $50-100 (18%)
- $100+ (13%)
- Gift cards and food are the most popular gifts for sitters and nannies this year. Check out our Babysitter Gift Guide for more ideas!
- The most common nanny bonus or nanny tip is one week’s pay.
- 68% of parents give their nanny a holiday tip, 28% give a gift instead of tip, 4% don’t tip at all.
- Breakdown of 2022 nanny tip amounts:
- Less than 1 week’s pay (30%)
- 1 week’s pay (52%)
- 2 weeks’ pay (12%)
- 3 weeks’ pay (2%)
- > 3 week’s pay (5%)
The Pet Sitter
- 58% of pet owners give a holiday tip. 18% give a gift instead, while 24% don’t tip for the holidays.
- Of those that give a tip at the holidays, $15-25 is the most popular pet sitter tip followed by less than $15.
- Breakdown of 2022 pet sitter tip amounts:
- Under $15 (32%)
- $15-25 (37%)
- $25-50 (16%)
- $50-100 (8%)
- $100+ (6%)
- A large majority, 72% of families, plan to give a holiday tip to their housekeeper this year. 10% give a gift instead, while 18% don’t tip for the holidays. $100+ is the most popular tip.
- Breakdown of 2022 housekeeper tip amounts:
- Under $15 (15%)
- $15-25 (17%)
- $25-50 (21%)
- $50-100 (19%)
- $100+ (27%)
The Elder Care Provider
- 56% of families tip their elder care provider, 16% give a gift instead, 27% don’t do special tipping for the holidays.
- There is no ‘most popular tip’ amount for this category. Some families give as little as $15, while nearly the same percentage of families give more than $100.
- Breakdown of 2022 elder care provider tip amounts:
- Under $15 (22%)
- $15-25 (22%)
- $25-50 (22%)
- $50-100 (16%)
- $100+ (20%)
- 51% of parents plan to tip their tutor, 23% give a gift instead, while 26% don’t do special holiday tipping.
- Of the parents who do give a monetary tutor tip at the holidays, 35% of parents give $15-25 followed by 31% who give less than $15.
UrbanSitter Guides to Holiday Tipping – Past Editions
The holiday times are the perfect time to book a sitter for a night out to enjoy a holiday party or shop without the kids!