What does your wife want for Mother’s Day? Most moms are reluctant to ask for anything, but if you dig just a little deeper, you’ll find there are plenty of “presents” she’d love to receive. So take a hint and give her something really special this year.
1. A day off. There’s nothing like it. Even better if she’s in her own home — by herself.
2. Flowers. Cliche, but really not. Can you remember the last time she received an arrangement?
3. An afternoon off. You get the idea.
4. A gift certificate to the local hotel spa or day spa. Make sure she’s welcome to stay the whole day and use the facilities — pool, lunch, etc.
5. Something homemade from the kids. This should accompany another gift, but anything with crooked little letters and haphazard glue warms the heart.
6. A spectacular date — planned entirely by you. Take the reigns and devise something fun and different. Horse races? Theatre?
7. A new sweater or a whole outfit. Not lingerie. And please get the sales lady at Macy’s/J.Crew/Saks to help you. Even if she returns part or all of it, she’ll be touched you tried.
8. Art. Anything from a photograph of the first city you lived in (together) to a reprint of her favorite artist’s most obscure work, to a jewelry box you found in that out-of-the-way gift shop.
9. A cleaning lady, or a deep clean of the carpets and windows. The key is she won’t have to plan it or feel guilty for spending the money. And maybe get her flowers, too.
10. A dinner made by you. Hire a sitter to take the kids out or drop them at the grandparents for the night and make her a gourmet meal from start to finish. Even if you aren’t a star in the kitchen, you’ll both laugh and enjoy each other’s company. Bonus points for a fabulous bottle of champagne or her favorite (expensive) wine!