How much should you pay for in-home child care, such as a babysitter or nanny? Every year, UrbanSitter calculates average rates across the nation from the tens of thousands of in-home babysitting and nanny jobs booked on its site and app. Here’s a quick glance at some recent hourly in home child care rate stats.
In-Home Child Care Rates
What is the average child care rate?
The average in the US is $18.36 an hour for one child and $21.23 an hour for two children.
Where is the highest child care rate?
San Francisco tops the list with an average rate of $21.17 an hour for one child and $23.56/hr for two children.
Where is the lowest child care rate?
Las Vegas, where the average pay starts at $12.50 an hour for one child.
How much do parents spend yearly on childcare expenses?
57% of parents will spend over $10K on childcare expenses.
How much do parents pay specialty child care providers?
- A tutor charges $20/hr with 35% of parents stating they are hiring more tutors than before.
- A pod sitter and virtual sitter cost around $16/hr.
COVID’s Impact on Babysitting Rates
Have babysitters and nannies raised their rates during COVID?
- 17% of child care providers (babysitter, nanny, etc…) say they raised their rates during COVID.
Are parents still in the workforce or did they reduce hours?
- 41% of parents say they opted out of the workforce or reduced their work hours.
- 21% of caretakers stopped working during the pandemic.
See how these babysitting rates compare to last year’s data.