According to UrbanSitter.com’s 2016 study of 15,000 families across the U.S., the average babysitting rate for one child is $15.71 per hour. In San Francisco, New York City and other cities with a high cost of living, rates are higher than the national average. Decide how much to pay your babysitter or nanny by consulting the rates by city below.
- San Francisco tops the charts once again with the most expensive babysitter rates in the country: $16.58 per hour for one child.
- While Denver has the least expensive babysitter rates: $11.75 per hour for one child.
- Over a third of all parents surveyed hire a babysitter once a week or more.
- When it comes to tipping babysitters, only 19% of parents tip on every job.
- 64% of parents surveyed spend $20,000 or more annually on a nanny.
- Reviews from other parents ranked as the most important factor when hiring a babysitter, with 53% of parents surveyed saying they check references when hiring a new sitter.
- Would you hire a babysitter while you were on vacation? 80% of parents surveyed said they would love to hire a babysitter while on a family trip.